Paying back your Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme grants

If you have over-claimed for CJRS, then HMRC encourage employers to pay all or some of the grant back - or if you do not need the grant and want to make a voluntary repayment, you can do so using the link here.

You can either:

  • correct it in your next claim (your new claim will be reduced, and you will need to keep a record of the adjustment for 6 years)

  • get a payment reference number and pay HMRC back within 30 days (only if you are not making another claim)

You must use the online service to get your payment reference number before you can pay HMRC back. You should only do this if you are not making another claim.

Please talk to us if you have any concerns about past claims and we will help put matters in order.